Goal is to enhance the academic quality and operations in order to serve the people of Afghanistan by creating an atmosphere of excellence that prepares health care providers to meet the needs of the country for quality nursing, midwifery and allied health personnel.
The objectives are:
- Enhance schools’ academic/learning environments
- Strengthen teaching competencies of faculties
- Update the curricula to meet international standard
- Emphasize on clinical competencies as part of the total curriculum
- Reform and enhance administrative functions including policies and proceduresIntroduce current assessment, monitoring and evaluation processes for students, faculty and programs
AHDS has provided education opportunity for girls and boys in:
Kandahar Institute of Health Sciences:
- Midwifery School
- Nursing School
- Pharmacy Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Community Health Nurse Education
- Community Midwifery Education
Community Midwifery Education
- Community Health Nurse Education
The standardized curricula ensure:
Skill development on simulators (anatomic models) before going to clinical practice
Clinical practice and skill development in hospital
Problem-based approach to enable graduates to manage problems and think more critically
Knowledge, skills and attitudes that is necessary for providing the service
- The national Concur examination for all graduates of high school (by ministry of higher education)
- Entry examination in Kandahar aiming to absorb students from the region (Kandahar and neighboring provinces) to work for the local communities
- Nominees by the community committee (Shura) with strong promise to serve their own people
Accreditation is done by the Afghanistan Midwifery and Nursing Education Accreditation Body with is an independent agency.
School HealthADHS is piloting a school health program in partnership with Save the Children in Urozgan Province.
The aim is to improve the general health of school age children in Urozgan and to prevent sickness, disability and accidents.
The main activities are:
Hygiene and health education
Training workshops have been conducted for the students, teachers and parents. The training workshops cover importance of general health, first-aid, hygiene, healthy environment, infectious diseases prevention and disability prevention.
Children Groups: are actively raising community awareness through:
- Child to child health education
- Parents meetings
- Meeting with teachers
- Meeting with community health workers, health committee members, elders, religious leaders (Mulahs)
- Children’s live radio program
- Practical work in community to realize personal and environmental hygiene e.g. cleaning schools and streets
- Orientation session on health-screening procedure and follow ups for the health and education authorities and schools
- One teacher in each school was trained as focal point for children's health screening
- Male and female nurses help the teachers in health screening of the children
- Workshop for teachers on the value and how to keep health record
- Health record archives are established one at each school
- Monitoring checklist is designed for children health screening
- Referral system is established between the schools and health facilities
- Health screening is performed not only for the school children but for the out-of-school children (brought by their friends) as well The intention is to study the outcomes of the program and lobby for replicating it in all the schools.